Amazon | Goodreads
Jem Halliday is in love with her gay best friend. Not exactly ideal, but she's learning to live with it.Then the unspeakable happens. Kai is outed online ... and he kills himself.Jem knows nothing she can say or do will bring him back. But she wants to know who was responsible. And she wants to take them down.A searing story of love, revenge and betrayal from a bestselling author.
The major plot points, in a nutshell:
- Jem and Kai meet, become best friends, and grow up together. Jem is a social outcast, and Kai is bubbly and outgoing.
- Kai drags Jem to a party. At some point he is secretly videotaped while giving another boy head, and said video is emailed to everyone in school.
- Kai commits suicide, and Jem falls into a depression.
- Jem discovers that Kai had written her 12 letters, with instructions to open one letter each month after his death (totaling up to a year's worth of letters).
- Jem receives an anonymous letter informing her that the people responsible for the video, and thus Kai's death, are also the most popular students in school.
- Jem decides that she will transform herself from a social outcast to a member of the popular group, and destroy them all from the inside as an act of revenge.